- Paperback: 1377 pages
- Publisher: Apress; 3Rev Ed edition (March 24, 2008)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1590598229
Whether you’re moving to .NET for the first time, or you’re already writing applications on .NET 2.0 or .NET 3.0, Pro VB 2008 and the .NET 3.5 Platform will provide you with a solid grounding in this new technology and serve as a comprehensive reference throughout your coding career:
- Explore five new chapters of content—including the grammar of the common intermediate language (CIL), .NET generics, and object serialization services.
- Discover all the new .NET 3.5 features—nullable types, delegate covariance, ASP.NET 2.0 master pages, the new Windows Forms “Strip” controls, and much more.
- Get a professional foothold—targeted to appeal to experienced software professionals and/or graduate students of computer science (so don’t expect three chapters on iteration or decision constructs!).
- Gain a rock–solid foundation in programming using Visual Basic.
- Get comfortable with all the core aspects of the .NET platform—including assemblies, remoting, Windows Forms, Web Forms, ADO.NET, XML web services, and much more.
Once you’ve digested the information contained in the 25 chapters of this 1000+ page book, you’ll be ready to apply this knowledge to your specific programming assignments and well equipped to explore the .NET universe on your own.
What you’ll learn
- Everything you need to put .NET 3.5 and Visual Basic 2008 to use in your professional workbefore anyone else!
- Insights and techniques from the author’s experience since .NET 1.0
- Complete coverage of .NET 3.5—WPF, WCF and WF
Who is this book for?
Anyone with some software development experience interested in the new .NET 3.5 Platform and the Visual Basic language. Whether you’re moving to .NET for the first time or you’re already writing applications on .NET 2.0 or .NET 3.0, this book will provide you with a solid grounding in this new technology and serve as a comprehensive reference throughout your coding career.
- Beginning VB 2008 Databases: From Novice to Professional
- Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 in VB 2008: From Novice to Professional
- Visual Basic 2008 Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach
- Pro WPF in VB 2008: Windows Presentation Foundation in .NET 3.5
About the Apress Pro Series
You have gotten the job; now you need to hone your skills in these tough competitive times. The Apress Pro series expands your skills and expertise in exactly the areas you need. Master the content of a Pro book, and you will always be able to get the job done in a professional development project. Written by experts in their field, Pro series books from Apress give you the hard-won solutions to problems you will face in your professional programming career.
About the Author
Andrew Troelsen is a partner, trainer, and consultant at Intertech-Inc., and is a leading authority on both .NET and COM. His book Pro C# 2005 and the .NET 2.0 Platform won the prestigious 2003 Referenceware Excellence Award and is now in its third edition. Also of note are his earlier five-star treatment of traditional COM in the bestselling Developer’s Workshop to COM and ATL mirrored in his book, COM and .NET Interoperability, and his top-notch investigation of VB .NET in Visual Basic .NET and the .NET Platform: An Advanced Guide. Troelsen has a degree in mathematical linguistics and South Asian studies from the University of Minnesota and is a frequent speaker at numerous .NET-related conferences. He currently lives in Minneapolis, Minnesota, with his wife, Amanda, and spends his free time investigating .NET and waiting for the Wild to win the Stanley Cup.