- Paperback: 328 pages
- Publisher: Apress (December 10, 2007)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 159059911X
Want to take Ruby to the limit? Looking for new, powerful, and creative ideas that will take Ruby beyond Rails and web programming? If youâ€™re comfortable with Ruby, youâ€™ll be itching to go further&emdash;apply Practical Ruby Projects: Fresh Ideas with Ruby and become a master of advanced Ruby techniques.
Rubyist Topher Cyll brings several imaginative projects to this book, ranging from making generative music, animations, and turn-based games to implementing simulations, algorithms, and even an implementation of Lisp!
Art, music, theory, and games&emdash;this book has it all. Best of all, itâ€™s all done with Ruby.
Each chapter, in addition to making you say â€œCool&emdash;I hadnâ€™t thought of that before,â€ looks at solving tricky development problems, enforces best practices, and encourages creative thinking. Youâ€™ll be building your own exciting, imaginative Ruby Projects in no time.
- Create imaginative and innovative Ruby programming projects.
- Learn how to solve tricky development problems, be guided by best practices, and be inspired to think creatively.
- Donâ€™t waste time on the basics&emdash;itâ€™s assumed you know the fundamentals of Ruby already.
What youâ€™ll learn
- How to set up Ruby on Windows, Mac OSX, and Linux
- How to create UIs with RubyCocoa
- How to create a Lisp implementation in Ruby
- How to create generative music and turn-based adventure games in Ruby
- How to model things and create algorithms in Ruby
- Several more Ruby best practices and programming techniques that will save you hours of programming time
Who is this book for?
This book is for anyone who has mastered the basics of Ruby and wants to learn advanced Ruby techniques.
About the Apress Practical Series
The Practical series from Apress is your best choice for getting the job done, period. From professional to expert, this series lets you apply project-motivated templates (or frameworks) step by step in a very direct, practical, and efficient manner toward current real-world projects that may be sitting on your desk. So whatever your career goal, Apress can be your trusted guide to take you where you want to go on your IT career empowerment path.
Related Titles from Apress
- Beginning Ruby: From Novice to Professional
- Beginning Ruby on Rails: From Novice to Professional
- Practical Ruby on Rails Projects
About the Author
Topher Cyll is a software engineer and writer living in Cambridge, Massachusetts. He received his bachelorâ€™s degree in computer science from Williams College and works for a small Boston-area startup.
In reverse alphabetical order, he finds programming languages, music, Free Software, education, bioengineering, and beer terribly exciting.
Topher loves Ruby not only for the language itself, but also the light-hearted and intellectually curious community that surrounds it.